WELCOME TO MY INSTRUCTOR PAGE! IF YOU STILL HAVE QUESTIONS AFTER PERUSING THE INFORMATION AND LINKS HERE, Please CONTACT ME!
Email is best (I check it daily,) but if you need to phone me, please call 209-286-8018. I never check the college voice mail number on the left (and would delete it from this page, if I could!)
ONLINE SPANISH IMPORTANT INFORMATION:
1. Span 1A, Section 2012 and Span 1B, Section 3108 are offered as totally online 5-unit classes for Spring 2017. Expect to commit to at least FIFTEEN hours a week of learning and studying to be successful. Both sections will be taught in Canvas, the new Learning Management System that is replacing Blackboard.
2. You can see the syllabus for each class under Downloads on the left.
4. You MUST buy an access code for the E-text, Portales, where you will complete your learning activities. See your options for buying directly from the publisher at the link on the left under Resources. You will have options for access code only or access code with a loose-leaf text. You DO NOT need a paper text but some people like to have one. There are two textbooks on reserve in the Columbia College library for student use. If you plan to take Span 1B in the spring of 2018, the 24-month access code will be most cost-effective. If you only plan to take Span 1A or 1B, the 6-month access code will be sufficient.
BEFORE CLASS BEGINS:
1. I will send an email to all registered and wait-listed students about a week before class begins with important information. All email communication is sent to students' YCCD student email accounts, so be sure to have that set up! Check this page under Student resources for instructions on how to activate your student email.
2. If you would like some orientation on how to navigate in Canvas, drop in to the ITC on the Columbia College campus ASAP the first week of the semester. Check this page for ITC information and more online resources for students.The ITC is located in Tamarack Hall (Library building) in room 134. Also, as noted in the Syllabus, I will be conducting a live orientation on ConferNow the first Wednesday (Span 1B) and Thursday (Span 1A) of the semester at 7 p.m.
I first learned Spanish in Mexico many years ago and, later on in life, decided to pursue a BA and teaching credential at CSU, Chico. I taught high school Spanish for several years before beginning at Columbia College in 2003. I've been teaching Spanish online since 2009 and also work with the Online Education Initiative as an online course reviewer, mentor online instructors in a certificate program for @One, and score Spanish exams for an educational testing company. I am passionate about language and quality online learning!
I live in Mokelumne Hill, in Calaveras county with my husband, Joe (also known as Jose, el gringo,) our three dogs and one cat. I frequently visit my daughter and grand kids up near Chico. My daughter (who was born in Mexico almost 33 years ago!) graduated from the nursing program at CSU, Chico nearly two years ago, after lots of hard work, and is now an RN at a Chico hospital. I am so proud of her! I visit her and her family (which includes 4 grandchildren) often. I love to read, write, listen to music, watch good films or t.v. programs, cook and travel. I used to play guitar and hope to get back to it soon, as well as practice my newly-learned skills on the djembe drum.
I look forward to learning about you, what you love to do and what you're passionate about! Hasta luego, Profesora Teresa