2013 - Fellowship Integrative Medicine, Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine
1992 - MD (Medical Degree) University of California, Davis
1986 - MS (Masters of Science) University of California, Davis Comparative Pathology. Concentrations in Immunology, Immunopathology and Medical Parasitology
1984 - BA (Bachelors of Arts) California State University, Sacramento (Sacramento State). Double Major: Biological Science (Human Biology and Microbiology), Chemistry
** Contact Dr. Dyer via email, firstname.lastname@example.org **
Dr. Kirsti A. Dyer MD, MS, FT is a physician, health educator, professor, online instructor, lecturer, and longtime online student. She received her medical and master's degrees from the University of California, Davis. Dr. Dyer completed an Internal Medicine Residency program and practiced clinical medicine for many years.
After having her two daughters, her focus has shifted from clinical practice treating disease to health and wellness promotion through education. In August 2013 she completed the Fellowship program in Integrative Medicine with the Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine. She was the first physician (and still only) to attain the designation of Fellow in Thanatology F.T. through the Association of Death Education and Counseling (ADEC). This is technically death studies, but recognizes expertise in death, dying and bereavement.
Dr. Dyer has been teaching Bio 50, Nutrition since January 2005 as an enhanced course using online resources. Her Nutrition course has been fully online in Blackboard since Fall 2008. Bio 50 was the first biology course to be available online at Columbia College.
To provide safe opportunities and encouragement for walking in the community, Dr. Dyer organized and facilitates Walking Classes at the Wildcat Ranch. The walking classes are a joint venture through Columbia College Community Education and the Sonora High School Wildcat Ranch in Spring and Fall 2016 on the cross country course. A session for Summer Morning Movers met early during the summer months and included runners from the cross country team.
A session on Walking with the Wildflowers at the Wildcat Ranch is scheduled for Spring 2017, starting in mid February. Interested walkers, runners and movers can sign up through the Community Education website at http://www.gocolumbia.edu/comed.
The walking class was inspired by the Surgeon General's 2015 Call to Action to promote walking and walkable communities. By the end of 2016 our walkers and runners logged over 560 hours, with 70 hours as summer and fall running hours.
- Selection of Presentations and Publications
- Getting the Word Out: Using Student Marketing Projects to Promote Departments and Special Certificates. 2016. 21th Annual TCC Worldwide Online Conference
- Evaluating Eating Guides to Advise on Healthy Eating Plans. Fall 2015. Integrative Medicine Scholars Program. AMSA (American Medical Student Association).
- Moving Poster Project Presentations to the Online Classroom Using Blackboard Wiki Course Tool. 2015. 20th Annual TCC Worldwide Online Conference
- Food as Medicine: How Micronutrients Affect Health and Wellness. Fall 2014. Integrative Medicine Scholars Program. AMSA (American Medical Student Association).
- Rx (Prescription) for Nutrients: How Food Affects Health and Well Being. Spring 2014. Integrative Medicine Scholars Program. AMSA (American Medical Student Association).
- Herbs and Spices: Seasoning for Taste and Health Benefits. Spring 2014. Integrative Medicine Scholars Program. AMSA (American Medical Student Association).
- Potentials and Pitfalls of MOOC’s: Experiencing Massive Open Online Courses from the Instructor-as-Student Perspective. 2014. 19th Annual TCC Worldwide Online Conference.
- Evaluating the Healthfulness of Various Diet Plans. Fall 2013. Integrative Medicine Scholars Program. AMSA (American Medical Student Association)
- Move it More >>> Especially When Teaching Online, Desktop Seminar. @ One Desktop Webinars. Fall 2013. Archive Webinar.
- Reviewing and Evaluating Online Food Tracking / Diet Analysis Programs to Integrate into a Nutrition Course. 2013. 18th Annual TCC Worldwide Online Conference.
- Growing Online Education and Use, Sedentary Lifestyles, Rising Obesity and Overweight Rates: Are there connections? 2012. 17th Annual TCC Worldwide Online Conference.
- Strategies to Support Grieving NICU Parents – Part 2. NICU Support Teleseminar. University of Connecticut Health Center (UCHC), John Dempsey Hospital. August 2011.
- Grief in the NICU – Part 1. NICU Support Teleseminar. University of Connecticut Health Center (UCHC), John Dempsey Hospital. June 2011.
- Grief in the NICU: Identifying and Working with Grieving Parents. NAPSW (National Association of Perinatal Social Workers) Annual Conference. May 2011.
- Free Online Tools and Success Stories for Teaching in Lean Times. Online Teaching Conference. June 2010. At:
- Challenges of Maintaining Academic Integrity in an Age of Collaboration, Sharing and Social Networking. 15th Annual TCC Worldwide Online Conference. April 2010.
- Using e-Journals or Web Journals to Enhance Learning in the Online Classroom. International Online Conference for Teaching and Learning. March 2010.
- Copy and Paste Generation: Promoting Academic Integrity and Preventing Plagiarism. Online Teaching Conference. June 2009.
- Zero Cost Web 2.0 Tools for Collaborating Online. Online Teaching Conference. June 2009.
- Low-Cost Programs to Increase Children's Physical Activity and Inspire Healthy Lifestyles. Network for a Healthy California Conference, Inspiring Healthy Change Together. Poster Presentation. March 2009.
- We're All Winners: Increasing Physical Activity, Promoting Self-Esteem & Inspiring Healthy Habits. Network for a Healthy California. "Inspiring Healthy Change Together" March 2009 Conference.
- Walking in October (Walktober) Encouraging Children and Families to Walk and Be More Active. Network for a Healthy California. "Inspiring Healthy Change Together" March 2009 Conference.
- Grief in the NICU: Identifying, Understanding and Helping Grieving Parents. Managing the Spectrum of Maternal Mental Health Issues from Conception through the Neonatal Experience at the HHC Perinatal Conference, March 2009.
- Students benefit from e-Journaling or using Web Journals in an Online Grief, Loss & Bereavement Course. TCC Worldwide Online Conference. Referred Proceedings Volume 2009, Number 1 (pages 29-39).